Thursday, April 29, 2010


Mom, Loki, and I just returned from a week in Indiana, where I was raised. It was great seeing my family. Mom hadn't visited in over two years, and I did so only briefly last fall while my grandmother was ill. It was particularly nice for Loki to meet so many relatives, around whom he seemed to be instinctually relaxed.

Of course, this was Loki's first flight. The traveling went better than expected. We even had an extra empty seat on the flight back. But our time there was surprisingly tiring, as Loki did not sleep well.

Unfortunately, the health of my step-mother, who has been fighting cancer for several years, took a turn for the worse. We visited her at home several times, and Loki's presence cheered her up.

Also, while we were there, Loki had his 1 + 1/2 year birthday.

In the department of small things making big differences: We must give Loki a shot of food or water about every 10 to 15 minutes from 7 AM to midnight. We often forget for a few extra minutes, which can quickly add up over the course of a day. I began to ask around for an automatic adjustable pocket timer: press a single button, and X minutes later, you are reminded. Sure enough, Marcey (my friend from way-back-when) gave us her GymBoss, which does exactly this. It has made a surprising difference. Thanks!

We will have a large photo and video album soon. But for now, look what my mother (a/k/a Nana) dug up. This is me around age 15 months. Does this look like anyone else?

I even had the curls:


Richard en Maaike said...

Haha, so funny, these pictures. And wow, the resemblance is amazing! X Maaike

Mascha said...

Awesome pictures. Love the curls.

Happy 18 months birthday to my little trickster.

Circe said...

Hoi lieve Loki! Gefeliciteerd met anderhalf! Je lijkt erg op je papa!
Groetjes van Sosse, Meike, Jermo en Richard,Circe

About Loki Sky

Loki Sky is a special little man. He was a very early micropreemie, weighing only 610 grams (1 lb, 5 oz) after 24 weeks, 3 days gestation, born to an American Father and a Dutch Mother in Berkeley, California on October 18, 2008.

On January 11, 2009, while still in the hospital NICU, his one kidney stopped working. It was repaired after three surgeries. After spending time in three hospitals in three cities, Loki came home on February 17. He struggled with eating, and then stopped in July, leading to 8 days in the hospital, a failure-to-thrive diagnosis, and a NG feeding tube. On October 10, a minor surgery installed a G feeding tube. Another procedure replaced it with a new one, and then again with a Mic-Key button in Jan. 2010.

In August 2010, he and his parents moved to the Netherlands.

Read about his first name.
Read & hear about his middle name.
See photos.
See videos.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Loki's Holiday Gift Drive

Please consider donating to Loki's Holiday Gift Drive for the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center NICU. You can donate by Paypal or credit card here:

Click here for more information, including how to pay by check. For all posts on the Gift Drive, click here.