Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hospital, Day 4: Waiting continues

There is not much to report from this day at the hospital. Loki still doesn't eat. The MAG3 scan of Loki's kidney has been delayed until tomorrow due to a shortage of some necessary chemical.

We were visited by a urologist whom we saw back in January and February (but not Loki's main urologist, Dr. Baskin). After examining Loki's kidney ultrasound from Saturday, he believes that the kidney is not that much enlarged. In fact, it has probably been slightly enlarged ever since the surgery. Thus, the question is, how much did it grow recently? Loki had a kidney ultrasound a couple months ago, after all his surgeries but before this latest problem. That image is over at Children's Hospital Oakland, where it was performed. The staff is working on getting that to here for comparison.

The good news is that this continues to decrease the chance the Loki experienced a major, sudden problem. The bad news is this points to an ongoing minor problem: That his single kidney may not be that strong. In other words, it may not have the backup strength to withstand a problem such as the minor dehydration which occurred in recent days. If this is the case, then in the short term a feeding tube is more likely, and in the longer term more monitoring would be needed.

Tomorrow: The MAG3 scan, and perhaps a visit from Dr. Baskin.

We missed Saturday's 9 month birthday of Loki. Three-quarters of a year!

Loki continues to charm staff here. Christine visited again. Mom is sleeping at Margaret's. I am on overnight duty.


Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Happy 9 month birthday, Loki Sky. I hope the kidney problem is minor, and addressed at least short term by better hydration. Is GI coming in too? I know this is nerve wracking for you, and hope that Mom gets some sleep, Dad and Loki have some fun and get a little sleep (funny that he sleeps better there--perhaps the hospital feels strangely familiar to him--plus not eating makes reflux less)m and that you get some answers tomorrow. Rest, you three. Rest!

Kyra said...

Dear Jesse,

Thanx for the update. Hmf. Is it positive or negative? You must be wondering... After the long hard period of not eating and you all being stressed out, it may be a good break-through. Let's hope after this there will be a more stable situation where you can focus on family life and fun etc. and relax more. I agree with Cheryl, but do not know if it is all too relaxing at the hospital. Anyhow, thinking of you.

Love, Kyra

marieke said...

Well, just wait for the things they discover tomorrow. I really wish I could do something. It must be such a challenge for you. Give this little charmer a big tante hug and take one both of you. XX

About Loki Sky

Loki Sky is a special little man. He was a very early micropreemie, weighing only 610 grams (1 lb, 5 oz) after 24 weeks, 3 days gestation, born to an American Father and a Dutch Mother in Berkeley, California on October 18, 2008.

On January 11, 2009, while still in the hospital NICU, his one kidney stopped working. It was repaired after three surgeries. After spending time in three hospitals in three cities, Loki came home on February 17. He struggled with eating, and then stopped in July, leading to 8 days in the hospital, a failure-to-thrive diagnosis, and a NG feeding tube. On October 10, a minor surgery installed a G feeding tube. Another procedure replaced it with a new one, and then again with a Mic-Key button in Jan. 2010.

In August 2010, he and his parents moved to the Netherlands.

Read about his first name.
Read & hear about his middle name.
See photos.
See videos.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Loki's Holiday Gift Drive

Please consider donating to Loki's Holiday Gift Drive for the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center NICU. You can donate by Paypal or credit card here:

Click here for more information, including how to pay by check. For all posts on the Gift Drive, click here.