Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Strapped in; More photos

There is little to report here besides the new photos, below, from the second part of our trip and the Alta Bates NICU picnic. Loki continues to sleep more than usual. It seems he is recovering from vacation. He really seems happier at home.

Sleeping presented a dilemma: Loki should sleep on a slope, with his head above his stomach, so that his food and reflux stay down. But he rolls a lot. So Mom found this item--the Tucker Sling--on the Internet that seems to help. It is like a sling around his body and legs, but then straps to the bed. It prevents him from rolling, allowing us to have his bed sloped. His discomfort while feeding overnight seems to be less now.

Waving with Mom:

On the beach:

Beach bum:

With Dad on the semi-submarine fish watching trip:

The village waterfront area on an uncommon foggy morning:

The fog rolls in but burns off:

The tube and pump are obviously working:

Fashion series #1 - bilingual dictionary:

Fashion series #2 - lot-style Sleeping Monkey onesie:

Dipping in the water with Anthony, Sebastian, and Mom:

Is the water that cold?

Two cousins, and two second cousins:

At the picnic with Nurses Margaret and Janet:

With Loki and the two nurses are the families of Milo and Maddie (preemie twins who also had Janet as a primary, and whose blog Mom followed), and our NICU neighbor Ruksana and her father:


About Loki Sky

Loki Sky is a special little man. He was a very early micropreemie, weighing only 610 grams (1 lb, 5 oz) after 24 weeks, 3 days gestation, born to an American Father and a Dutch Mother in Berkeley, California on October 18, 2008.

On January 11, 2009, while still in the hospital NICU, his one kidney stopped working. It was repaired after three surgeries. After spending time in three hospitals in three cities, Loki came home on February 17. He struggled with eating, and then stopped in July, leading to 8 days in the hospital, a failure-to-thrive diagnosis, and a NG feeding tube. On October 10, a minor surgery installed a G feeding tube. Another procedure replaced it with a new one, and then again with a Mic-Key button in Jan. 2010.

In August 2010, he and his parents moved to the Netherlands.

Read about his first name.
Read & hear about his middle name.
See photos.
See videos.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Loki's Holiday Gift Drive

Please consider donating to Loki's Holiday Gift Drive for the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center NICU. You can donate by Paypal or credit card here:

Click here for more information, including how to pay by check. For all posts on the Gift Drive, click here.