Friday, January 22, 2010

New Mic-Key button today!

Today, Loki is undergoing minor surgery in order to swap out his old button for a Mic-Key. The advantage of the new type is that the type can lock in. We look forward to not dealing with it popping off, and/or needing to use tape to keep it in. He will have to go under general anesthesia to get the old one out via his esophagus, but no cutting will be necessary. He should come home this evening.

Mom is taking care of this on her own, and may be joined by Kyra in the recovery room. I need to work today.

Update (6:44 PM PST): Mom, Loki, and Kyra are on their way home. They had to wait four hours before the surgery even began!  But other than that, all is well, as far as I know. Recovery was "super speedy."


Mascha said...

Luckily this is not a 'real' surgery and I have no doubt it will go smoothly. I hope that Loki will bounce back quickly from yet another anesthesia, and that the new Mic-Key will make your life easier.

Thinking of you.
Hugs, Mascha

marieke said...

Hey Ho Loki,
Hope you feel good. Big hug, tante Marieke XX

berkeleygal77 said...

hope it makes things easier for him and especially for you

Richard en Maaike said...

Goed o te horen. Hoop dat hij inderdaad weinig naweeen heeft van de narcose en dat de Mic-key voor hem en jullie gaat doen wat hij moet doen.
X Maaike

heleen en frits said...

It sure is good to hear that everything went well will the placement of the surgery. And hopefully the Mic-key suits its purpose well. That should be more convenient for all of you.
Love and take care.

About Loki Sky

Loki Sky is a special little man. He was a very early micropreemie, weighing only 610 grams (1 lb, 5 oz) after 24 weeks, 3 days gestation, born to an American Father and a Dutch Mother in Berkeley, California on October 18, 2008.

On January 11, 2009, while still in the hospital NICU, his one kidney stopped working. It was repaired after three surgeries. After spending time in three hospitals in three cities, Loki came home on February 17. He struggled with eating, and then stopped in July, leading to 8 days in the hospital, a failure-to-thrive diagnosis, and a NG feeding tube. On October 10, a minor surgery installed a G feeding tube. Another procedure replaced it with a new one, and then again with a Mic-Key button in Jan. 2010.

In August 2010, he and his parents moved to the Netherlands.

Read about his first name.
Read & hear about his middle name.
See photos.
See videos.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Loki's Holiday Gift Drive

Please consider donating to Loki's Holiday Gift Drive for the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center NICU. You can donate by Paypal or credit card here:

Click here for more information, including how to pay by check. For all posts on the Gift Drive, click here.