Monday, May 11, 2009

Moederdag / Mother's Day

Our first Mother's day was wonderful. It was very special to celebrate this day for the first time as a mother with my own mom, Oma. The day started of a little grumpy for me; I really am not sleeping much. Dad was very forgiving though and made breakfast. Both Oma and I received gifts and cards. I even got two cards from Loki. It seems he has pretty good handwriting already! Loki's handwriting, interestingly enough, resembles both Nana's and Oma's handwriting. Wow, genetics shows up everywhere! We then took a stroll to the farmer's market, where Loki was able to process a full feed for the first time outside the home. Dad had booked a massage for me (using a gift certificate from a friend) and we wrapped up the day with some great sushi. All quite festive, I must say.

It is amazing to me that, a year ago, I was still longing to become a mother, not yet knowing I was pregnant. In fact, we had started our process to adopt a baby. Loki was, and still is, in so many ways a surprise and surprising. For many years, I was focused on becoming a parent, and did not want anything more than to hear the laughter and crying of a baby - our baby- in my life. It is a lot of what I hoped for and, sorry for the cliche, much better than that, sleepless nights or not. Weirdly enough, I do not feel that it took much to get used to being Loki's mom. Somehow, from the moment I saw him, I felt MAM (MOM) in every cell of my body. I knew this little guy belonged with us, in our family. Although nervous about his medical well-being, I have never felt very nervous about being his mother. I knew him and I know him. I love calming him when he cries, and I love cuddling up, feeling his warm head and cool cheeks against mine. My heart melts when I see his beautiful smile and when he clenches on to our shirts with his little hands. Loki is such a wonderful human being with a most gentle yet feisty character. He wants to be held when falling asleep and loves to be bounced and pat when eating. The little guy is entertained when we stare at him in awe! He is even cute when he screams his lungs out just because he needs to process the day, when he does not want to eat the bottle, or when he can't fall asleep.

Loki is beautiful; he is sweet; he is courageous. He is happy; he is strong; and he is a good communicator. He develops new skills in the blink of an eye and he matures visibly when we are looking at him. And yes, he can be a handful at times, and we are exhausted at the end of each day. Loki can be grumpy and sad; he wants to be held all the time; and he has a hard time sleeping during the day. But he is our wonderful happy, grumpy, smart, screaming, laughing super baby.

No matter how hard I try, words can never fully describe all the amazing feelings of love and awe I have for this little human being. He is who he is, and that is so incredibly perfect to me. I am so very, very proud to be Loki Sky's mammie.

11 comments:

Karin said...

Dearest Lijn, Jesse and "Omaatje Heleen".
I do understand what you've written down about Loki.
He's charming, happy, he loves life,he shows that on all the lovely photo's and video's!!
You feel the bond, you know him, I do know this feeling. I've got no children, but had cats my whole life. Still have one and feel the same.
I know that a cat is no child, but when yoú don't have children the caring and love feelings are the same.
My red male cat Joris is my child in a way.You are a wonderful Mom, heard your voice on some video's while you were talking to Loki and it touched me.
By the way, I'm "een oppas oma"
for girls, age 5 and 8.
Heleen will tell you.
The package with clothes and soft toys for Loki is on it's way to you.
Please if you can, let me know when it has arrived!!
Like so much to meet Loki and the two of you in the future, when you are here in the Netherlands. I'm looking forward to that!!
Love from Karin (Amsterdam)

marieke said...

Lieve mom,
Every word in this blogpost has the love for Loki in it. I am so happy for you you celebrated your first mothersday! I know how much you wanted a baby in your life and then, there was Loki. The most handsome, lovely, cute, strong and feisty baby ever. Being an aunty I feel so proud of this dude and his parents.
Dikke kus X

Richard en Maaike said...

Wie had ooit gedacht dat jouw grote verlangen op deze manier vorm zou krijgen. Hoe groot je wens ook was, nooit had je kunnen vermoeden dat het zo zou voelen zoals het voelt. Loki stelt jou en dad voor een hele utdaging, maar Loki komt niet voor niets op jullie pad. Je schrijft mooie woorden over je gevoelens over Loki en het moederschap, en hoe speciaal dit ook jouw situatie beschrijft, toch is dit in de kern het verhaal van iedere moeder, dat delen we dan toch met elkaar. Het moederschap zal je nog voor vele uitdagingen stellen en zal je ook nog heel veel geven. Op naar weer een jaar vol moedergevoelens om te koesteren!

liz.mccarthy said...

Hi, I"m not sure if you are still in the SF Bay Area, but wanted to introduce myself to you, I"m Liz McCarthy, mom to twin micros (one in heaven) and I run a number of support groups. A local SF Preemie Support group, a global micro preemie support group and I"m also very involved with the Bay Area March of Dimes. You can find the links for everything on my blog: www.MicroPreemies.com

berkeleygal77 said...

That entry is so beautiful it makes me want to cry.

Anonymous said...

I hope there is a way for you to keep this whole blog forever. This post is beautiful and Loki Sky will cherish it forever. He is so lucky to have you both as parents!

Jennifer

Mom said...

Thank you all for the sweet comments! We are ooking into making a book out of the blog for Loki, maybe for his first birthday and then just for however long we keep going!

Also, Karin we'll let you know when the package arrives! We are very curious :-)

Sarah Marcus said...

Happy Mother's Day Lijn. Mommy-hood is the best, isn't it. Miss you guys. We will definitely hang out soon.
Love to you all!

Unknown said...

I have lived a long time. Long enough to know that having a mother (and father) like you is the most precious gift for any child. Sometimes I think you literally WILLED or even drew on the ancient mother earth gods to pull Loki to you. I remember your joy telling me you were pregnant at the Tot Lot. I also remember your desire to adopt a child if you biological one was not meant to be. You were made to be a mother. The sheer intensity of your love comes out of your skin as perfume to Loki, out of your breasts tas the sweetest milk, out of your hands in gentle touches, and is written all over the face that he gazes at and where he reads without words his place in this world. Thank you for sharing it with all of us, and reminding us of the most awesome power in the universe--love!
Cheryl

Mom said...

Karin, krijg je dit berichtje? Laat me even weten, ik heb namelijk je email niet!! Pakje is aangekomen, echt heel erg lief zeg!! Kan niet wachten totdat hij in die stoere spijkerbroek past! Echt leuk om zo'n verrassingspaket te krijgen :-) Heel, heel erg bedankt. Dikke kus en knuffels van ons en van Loki!

Anonymous said...

i love this post! i have tears in my eyes.... happy mothers day! courtney

About Loki Sky

Loki Sky is a special little man. He was a very early micropreemie, weighing only 610 grams (1 lb, 5 oz) after 24 weeks, 3 days gestation, born to an American Father and a Dutch Mother in Berkeley, California on October 18, 2008.

On January 11, 2009, while still in the hospital NICU, his one kidney stopped working. It was repaired after three surgeries. After spending time in three hospitals in three cities, Loki came home on February 17. He struggled with eating, and then stopped in July, leading to 8 days in the hospital, a failure-to-thrive diagnosis, and a NG feeding tube. On October 10, a minor surgery installed a G feeding tube. Another procedure replaced it with a new one, and then again with a Mic-Key button in Jan. 2010.

In August 2010, he and his parents moved to the Netherlands.

Read about his first name.
Read & hear about his middle name.
See photos.
See videos.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Loki's Holiday Gift Drive

Please consider donating to Loki's Holiday Gift Drive for the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center NICU. You can donate by Paypal or credit card here:





Click here for more information, including how to pay by check. For all posts on the Gift Drive, click here.