Friday, November 7, 2008

Holding (2)

Of course I need to say something about holding my little guy for the first time. It was an unexpected event, which made it even more wonderful. Initially I was going to hold him yesterday, with one of Loki's primary nurses. She has tons of experience and despite the respirator, felt comfortable having me hold him for a little while. It takes some work as you can imagine, getting the little guy out of his incubator keeping all the tubes and wires in place. However, yesterday and today we had a different nurse. So, I figured it would not happen until our nurse was back in on Saturday. Luckily, I was wrong.

As I finished up pumping milk for Loki (I am months and months ahead of the game here, as he takes only 4cc's every three hours), nurse Bonnie asked if I wanted to hold him. I assumed she meant sitting next to the isolet and have my hands on him. Nope, she really meant HOLD him, yay!! I sat down in a rocking chair in Loki's room and my beautiful, tiny son was placed on my chest. That was amazing!!!! It felt so cozy, warm and snugly to have his bare skin against mine. He did really well, with only a little extra oxygen; he had very consistent saturation. Although I felt like it only lasted ten minutes, we actually sat together for almost an hour, just quiet, snuggling and hugging, his little hand gently moving on my chest. Wow, what a wonderful feeling! I know we can only do this once in a while, but I cannot wait till next time!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations new mommy and daddy! We wish little Loki nothing but the best. We look forward to meeting him when he is strong enough to receive "germy" visitors. Luckily we've had LOTS of practice washing our hands! Let us know if there is anything we can do for either of you....
Love, Love, Love

Sharon (and Bruce and Jordan)

Eric Rubin said...

wow! isn't it great to hold your own child? I imagine it must have been beyond difficult to have waited this long. But you guys did it and i sounds like Loki is doing better each day. You guys are amazing parents and he is blessed to have you two. I can' wait to meet the little guy!

Anonymous said...

Now watch how he starts to grow--I KNOW he realized at a deep level that at last his mama's heartbeat and smell were back, and that he is okay. Congratulations!
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Loki must have loved that moment too! I am so glad you are able to hold him and feel him. How wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

beautiful - I can't wait to meet Loki and hug you all - what a special moment. we are thinking about you all the time.

Anonymous said...

beautiful - what a special moment - thank you for sharing it with us - can't wait to meet Loki and hug you all. we think about you everyday
stef

marieke said...

Mom, I feel so happy for you (and a little emotional aswell:-))this was a very nice surprise I think! Loki and you are so beautifull together. Hope dad is also able to hold Loki in the upcoming days, love X Marieke

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lijn, that was a wonderful and unexpected experience! You must have enjouyed every second of it! I guess a lot of people are jealous of that, at least I know one for sure: Frits!

Anonymous said...

Hartverwarmend!

Anonymous said...

Wow - what an amazing experence. I am sure Loki was so comforted by your heartbeat, voice, smell. congrats.
much love,
courtney

About Loki Sky

Loki Sky is a special little man. He was a very early micropreemie, weighing only 610 grams (1 lb, 5 oz) after 24 weeks, 3 days gestation, born to an American Father and a Dutch Mother in Berkeley, California on October 18, 2008.

On January 11, 2009, while still in the hospital NICU, his one kidney stopped working. It was repaired after three surgeries. After spending time in three hospitals in three cities, Loki came home on February 17. He struggled with eating, and then stopped in July, leading to 8 days in the hospital, a failure-to-thrive diagnosis, and a NG feeding tube. On October 10, a minor surgery installed a G feeding tube. Another procedure replaced it with a new one, and then again with a Mic-Key button in Jan. 2010.

In August 2010, he and his parents moved to the Netherlands.

Read about his first name.
Read & hear about his middle name.
See photos.
See videos.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Loki's Holiday Gift Drive

Please consider donating to Loki's Holiday Gift Drive for the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center NICU. You can donate by Paypal or credit card here:





Click here for more information, including how to pay by check. For all posts on the Gift Drive, click here.

Blog Archive