Friday, February 13, 2009

An exit strategy (updated)

I got off the phone with Mom. She does not have reliable Internet access today, so I am passing along the update.

Loki might come home sooner than Tuesday. His final kidney ultrasound was done today, instead of Tuesday. If the results are good, then he can come home sooner. (We don't have the results yet... I'll update here when I know.) We still need to do an overnight at the hospital with Loki but without monitors (heart rate, blood oxygen, breathing rate), to ensure that we are able to care for him without medical help. And we need to go through a few classes (usually just watching videos) about how to care for a preemie at home. I need to run a few errands and clean our house very thoroughly. If all comes together just right, Loki could be bound for home Sunday evening. Update: Loki is back on the schedule to return Tuesday. There are just too many details to coordinate, and some of the hospital staff, including the discharge coordinator, are out until then, as Monday is a holiday.

I spent yesterday evening at the hospital. It was good to see Mom and little Lookje. (That is the Dutch way to make things sound smaller, like dog to doggy in English. It is pronounced LOKE-yuh.) I fed him by bottle, which was the first time I had ever done that with any baby. His penrose drain, scheduled to be removed Monday, had been wiggling out. It came completely out last night. That's not a problem.

Isn't that middle photo in the post below quite cute?

10 comments:

berkeleygal77 said...

You must have the butterflies in the stomach over Loki coming home - happy but nervous. I love the tubeless photo - you're right it's very cute!

marieke said...

O my, coming home becomes sooner and sooner. Must give you trust, to spend a night in the hospital without the monitor. I think I would prefer to spend two weeks:-)

Dad, how was it to give a bottle? Isn't it great to give food?

big hug and everything will be good! Hug, Marieke

Unknown said...

YAY!! I'm so happy to hear Loki is coming home very soon. The middle photo of him below is absolutely scrumptious! He is a doll ~ Happy Valentine's day little Lookje, mom & dad!

Love,
Stina

annette said...

Hi Kat and Jesse!
I am so pleased that Loki is doing better and he is headed for home!! It warms my heart to hear such great news. The pictures and video are absolutely adorable. Please give him a big hug and kiss for me. I would love to come by to see him one day after work.
With all my love
Annette, RN

marieke said...

I printed the so very cute picture. It shows on Loki's table with his candle and flowers. So proud of the little dude!

Mascha said...

Oh, you fed him for the first time. How did that feel? Matt still remembers how overwhelming his emotions were.

Don't you have to take a CPR class and is there no 'car seat study' for Loki before he can ride home? Or is this covered by the night without monitors?

This is so exciting. We are emotionally and spiritually with you on this last stretch.

Love,
Mascha and Matt

Anonymous said...

is there a way to have a neonatal follow up nurse come check on him at home for awhile? I know alta bates does this..Brianna got one for awhile. It was just so helpful to have another (professional) set of eyes take a look, answer questions....most of what you will worry about can't be anticipated until it happens--usually it is nothing but a fluke, but so nice to reassurance. Anyway, with all those nice alta bates nurses still reaching out, I'm sure they can advise..
I AM SO HAPPY AND EXCITED TO MEET LOKI, BUT I am going to wait until you feel comfortable with visitors so you tell me when you are ready.
Love,
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

this is such great news! I am so very excited. it's all going to uphill from here. his good appetite will get him far.... stronger by the day. much love to you all.
courtney

Mom said...

Annette, we would be so happy to see you and have you cuddle with Loki for a bit. He loves cuddles :-)

Dad said...

Mascha: there is a car seat study at UCSF, but I believe that we will do our CPR class at Alta Bates later. I am not completely sure.

Marieke and Mascha: To be honest, feeding Loki was not emotionally overwhelming. I my case, I have had four months of bonding, as well as crazy ups and downs. My actual first feeding by syringe was more intense. [OK, that link is to a video of Mom feeding, but that is how it was then. It feels like a different world, looking at it now.]

About Loki Sky

Loki Sky is a special little man. He was a very early micropreemie, weighing only 610 grams (1 lb, 5 oz) after 24 weeks, 3 days gestation, born to an American Father and a Dutch Mother in Berkeley, California on October 18, 2008.

On January 11, 2009, while still in the hospital NICU, his one kidney stopped working. It was repaired after three surgeries. After spending time in three hospitals in three cities, Loki came home on February 17. He struggled with eating, and then stopped in July, leading to 8 days in the hospital, a failure-to-thrive diagnosis, and a NG feeding tube. On October 10, a minor surgery installed a G feeding tube. Another procedure replaced it with a new one, and then again with a Mic-Key button in Jan. 2010.

In August 2010, he and his parents moved to the Netherlands.

Read about his first name.
Read & hear about his middle name.
See photos.
See videos.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Loki's Holiday Gift Drive

Please consider donating to Loki's Holiday Gift Drive for the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center NICU. You can donate by Paypal or credit card here:





Click here for more information, including how to pay by check. For all posts on the Gift Drive, click here.

Blog Archive